Sales Manager (Detroit, MI)
Why Work for Park Lawn?
- At every level, our dedicated team members display a strong work ethic and commitment to our core values, respect for the family, the profession, and the individual.
- Work with leading experts in the funeral and cemetery profession.
- Financial assistant programs encouraging employees through education and development in industry related subjects.
- Robust Health and Welfare Plans, and savings account options, designed to support your personal needs, enhance well-being and help navigate life’s challenges.
- Rich 401k and Roth Retirement Plan options available for both Full Time and Part Time employees along with a Company Match.
- Variety of Vacation, Personal Days and Sick Days based on your role emphasizing the importance of physical and emotional replenishment for our team.
- Employee Discounts on services, merchandise, and property to help our team members in their time of need.
- We value honesty, courage, integrity, ethical behavior and the development of personal growth.
- We are rooted in the communities to provide a personal touch to every family we serve.
- We believe in the value of funeral and cemetery service, drawing on decades of experience to create the best experience for our families.
This position is the primary lead accountable for creating and driving sales strategies and performance to ensure the business meets or exceeds Standards.
- Leads and manages the sales team’s performance through effective performance management, coaching, disciplinary action, and termination, when necessary.
- Recruits and trains an effective sales staff.
- Leads team by example in the areas of sales activity and sales volume.
- Meets or exceeds the sales targets for the location(s).
- Develops and implements sales initiatives that motivate and energize sales team members to achieve and succeed.
- Generates sales leads through participation in the surrounding community and through civic relationships.
- Monitors and analyzes sales results, including contract status, client family feedback, cancellations, etc., to develop an ongoing action plan for success.
- Communicates sales results on a weekly, monthly, quarterly, and annual basis to management.
- Recognizes market changes, team changes and operational goals and recalibrates the team and team efforts for continued success.
- Schedules sales staff to ensure proper coverage and equitable rotation of staff and duty days.
- Reviews and resolves contract or commission discrepancies as needed.
- Monitors and analyzes accounts receivable, ensuring collection activities are ongoing and effective.
- Meets with client families at the time of need or on a pre-need basis, to ensure that they are presented with all options pertaining to interment, cemetery property, and related merchandise and services.
- Attends services and visitations for client families whenever possible to foster relationships, ensures excellent service, and develops potential referrals.
- Complies with all company procedures for customer service when dealing with families, handling complaints, completing post-interment service activities, and performing other duties necessary to ensure quality service levels.
- Protects confidentiality of company and client family information, including sales and marketing programs and materials, names and addresses of client families and employees, and other related information.
- Identifies and remedies all hazards at location and on grounds.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Communication Proficiency.
- Teamwork Orientation.
- Detail Orientation.
- Customer Service Orientation.
- Time Management.
Required Education, Experience, Certifications and Licensure
- Four-year degree or equivalent combination of education and experience required.
- Bachelor’s degree strongly preferred.
- Minimum of 2 years management experience; Funeral Home or Combo desired.
- Minimum of 3 years sales experience.
- Proven track record of success in inside sales production, strongly preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to build, inspire, train and energize sales team.
- Ability to read and interpret company policies, procedures, contracts, insurance documents and pricing structures or list.
- Ability to effectively work and develop sales leads and referrals from recognized sources and approved methods.
- Ability to compute discount, interest, profit and loss; commission, markup, and selling price; and ability to calculate surfaces.
- Effectively utilize all sales training and techniques to fulfill production requirements.
- Effective and professional communication skills, with an emphasis on verbal skills and the ability to resolve and respond to issues in a professional manner.
- Ability to be proactive and willing to take initiative in all circumstances
- Attention to detail and follow-through.
- May require the possession (or ability to obtain) an insurance license as required by applicable state law.
- Valid state-issued driver’s license in good standing and acceptable driving record.
Additional Eligibility Qualifications
- Attend and perform work in a professional and courteous manner in accordance with the employer’s requirements.
- Demonstrated willingness to participate in growing market share through community involvement.
- Able to read, write and speak English fluently. Bilingual is a plus.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite (Outlook, Word, Excel, Access and PowerPoint) preferred
- Ability to communicate effectively with internal, as well as external customers, community leaders, and grieving client families.
- Ability to empathize with client families and their guests and demonstrate tact and patience in emotionally charged situations.
- Ability to rapidly assess the needs of client families and quickly adapt to changing circumstances.
- Tactful and professional when dealing with complaints or dissatisfaction with services or merchandise.
- Maintains a positive attitude and working environment through organization and communication.
- Ability to simultaneously handle multiple projects, prioritizes tasks, and exercise good judgment.
This position has direct management responsibilities, including hiring, firing, performance management and disciplinary actions as needed.
Physical Demands and Work Environment
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- The duties associated with this position are generally performed in an indoor office setting.
- Outdoor duties may require exposure to natural elements such as inclement weather, extreme temperatures, uneven ground, dust, gas, and/or fumes.
- Equipment used to perform the essential function of this position includes, but is not limited to computer, fax, copier, merchant terminal, multi-line phone system, personal or company owned vehicle.
- Employees in this role are regularly required to climb, sit, stand, bend, kneel, and frequently lift to 25 pounds.
- This position may also require reaching, pushing, and pulling.
- This position may also be exposed to chemicals and/ or blood borne pathogens. Exposure risk is considered: _____ Low
- This position may require up to 10 percent out of area and overnight travel.
- Travel is primarily local occurring during the business day only.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.