General Manager (San Antonio, TX)
Why Work for Park Lawn?
- At every level, our dedicated team members display a strong work ethic and commitment to our core values, respect for the family, the profession, and the individual.
- Work with leading experts in the funeral and cemetery profession.
- Financial assistant programs encouraging employees through education and development in industry related subjects.
- Robust Health and Welfare Plans, and savings account options, designed to support your personal needs, enhance well-being and help navigate life’s challenges.
- Rich 401k and Roth Retirement Plan options available for both Full Time and Part Time employees along with a Company Match.
- Variety of Vacation, Personal Days and Sick Days based on your role emphasizing the importance of physical and emotional replenishment for our team.
- Employee Discounts on services, merchandise, and property to help our team members in their time of need.
- We value honesty, courage, integrity, ethical behavior and the development of personal growth.
- We are rooted in the communities to provide a personal touch to every family we serve.
- We believe in the value of funeral and cemetery service, drawing on decades of experience to create the best experience for our families.
This position is accountable for overseeing the operations of funeral home and/or cemetery location(s) to ensure the expectations of client families and their guest are exceeded.
- Oversees the management of resources and day-to-day operations.
- Establishes a financial plan and ensure goals and objectives are met each year.
- Analyze activities, costs, operations, and forecast data to determine location progress toward goals and objectives.
- Understands and monitors compliance of Federal, state and local laws and regulations for operation of a cemetery, cemetery sales, crematory and funeral home.
- Develops and monitors quality relationships with suppliers in order to ensure that products and services offered to the business add value to client family satisfaction and market share growth.
- Ensures that all business operation permits are current and applied for in a timely manner.
- Monitors and manage financial results in a manner that meets or exceeds standards.
- Prepares and manages capital requests and expenditures.
- Provides a high level of coaching, mentoring and development to department heads and location staff.
- Ensures that family survey and family service follow up calls are completed.
- Inspections of all facilities, grounds and locations to ensure all are maintained to standards.
- Develops and implement marketing plans to expand exposure of the location in the community.
- Sponsors on-site community events that promote the business to the community.
- Develops relationships with community businesses and leaders.
- Assists direct reports with setting and meeting their goals.
- Encourages the development of new service offerings.
- Performs projects and other duties as assigned.
- Communication Proficiency.
- Teamwork Orientation.
- Detail Orientation.
- Customer Service Orientation.
- Time Management.
Required Education, Experience, Certifications and Licensure
- Four-year degree or equivalent combination of education and experience required.
- Bachelor’s degree strongly preferred.
- Minimum of 5 years of experience preferred in a funeral home or combo desired.
- Experience with analyzing finance reports to determine actions to maintain and/or improve the location’s performance strongly preferred.
- Current Funeral Director license is highly preferred.
- Valid state issued driver’s license in good standing and acceptable driving record.
Additional Eligibility Qualifications
- Attend and perform work in a professional and courteous manner in accordance with the employer’s requirements.
- Demonstrated willingness to participate in growing market share through community involvement.
- Able to read, write and speak English fluently. Bilingual is a plus.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite (Outlook, Word, Excel, Access and PowerPoint) preferred.
- Ability to communicate effectively with internal, as well as external customers, community leaders, and grieving client families.
- Ability to empathize with client families and their guests and demonstrate tact and patience in emotionally charged situations.
- Tactful and professional when dealing with complaints or dissatisfaction with services or merchandise.
- Maintains a positive attitude and working environment through organization and communication.
- Ability to simultaneously handle multiple projects, prioritizes tasks, and exercise good judgment.
This position has direct management responsibilities, including hiring, firing, performance management and disciplinary actions as needed.
Physical Demands and Work Environment
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- The duties associated with this position are generally performed in an indoor office setting.
- Outdoor duties may require exposure to natural elements such as inclement weather, extreme temperatures, uneven ground, dust, gas, and/or fumes.
- Equipment used to perform the essential function of this position includes, but is not limited to computer, fax, copier, merchant terminal, multi-line phone system, personal or company owned vehicle.
- Employees in this role are regularly required to climb, sit, stand, bend, kneel, and frequently lift to 25 pounds.
- This position may also require reaching, pushing, and pulling.
- This position may also be exposed to chemicals and/ or blood borne pathogens. Exposure risk is considered: ______ Low
- This position may require up to 20 percent out of area and overnight travel.
- Travel is primarily local occurring during the business day only.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.