Funeral Director (Madison, WI)
Why Work for Cress Funeral and Cremation Service?
- At every level, our dedicated team members display a strong work ethic and commitment to our core values, respect for the family, the profession, and the individual.
- Work with leading experts in the funeral and cemetery profession.
- Financial assistant programs encouraging employees through education and development in industry related subjects.
- Robust Health and Welfare Plans, and savings account options, designed to support your personal needs, enhance well-being and help navigate life’s challenges.
- Rich 401k and Roth Retirement Plan options available for both Full Time and Part Time employees along with a Company Match.
- Variety of Vacation, Personal Days and Sick Days based on your role emphasizing the importance of physical and emotional replenishment for our team.
- Employee Discounts on services, merchandise, and property to help our team members in their time of need.
- We value honesty, courage, integrity, ethical behavior and the development of personal growth.
- We are rooted in the communities to provide a personal touch to every family we serve.
- We believe in the value of funeral and cemetery service, drawing on decades of experience to create the best experience for our families.
The Funeral Director is accountable for performing a variety of tasks during the preparation, planning, and execution of the funeral and memorialization process to ensure services run smoothly and that the expectations of our client families and their guests are exceeded.
- Consults with client families or legal representative of the deceased to create services designed to meet their end-of-life memorialization expectations.
- Ensures that client families are presented with all merchandising and service options available.
- Obtains information needed to complete required documents such as obituaries, death certificates, burial permits, and insurance.
- Coordinates all service arrangements and details with clergy, other presiding persons, fraternal or military organizations, and others who may participate in conducting the funeral service.
- Utilizes systems to record merchandise selections, enter contracts, and complete necessary forms.
- Plans, schedules, and conducts visitations and services.
- Oversees all employees participating in services, ensuring that each member of the team understands their individual role and is professionally representing the location.
- Prepares the deceased, including dressing and casketing.
- Places casket or remains in visitation area, setting up the area to comply with client family wishes, including adjusting light fixtures, and arrangement of flowers or plants.
- Directs and ushers families and services attendees to and from the location of the funeral service.
- Supervises and assists in the transportation of client families to ensure a timely departure and arrival.
- Arranges and coordinates shipment of remains to and from other cities and locations.
- Instructs and oversees work of Apprentice Funeral Directors on services and paperwork.
- Performs removals and transfers individuals into Park Lawn’s care as needed.
- Performs other duties, as assigned.
- Communication Proficiency.
- Teamwork Orientation.
- Detail Orientation.
- Customer Service Orientation.
- Social Perceptiveness.
- Time Management.
Required Education, Experience, Certifications and Licensure
- Four-year degree or equivalent combination of education, training and experience preferred.
- Minimum two years of experience as a licensed Funeral Director.
- Valid and applicable state Funeral Director License; reciprocal across states and in good standing.
- Valid state issued driver’s license in good standing and acceptable driving record.
Additional Eligibility Qualifications
- Ability to read, write, and speak English fluently. Bilingual is a plus.
- High degree of overall computer proficiency.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
- Ability to effectively present information to client families, co-workers, and leadership.
- Demonstrated willingness to participate in growing market share through active, personal participation in complimentary, community based organizations.
- Ability to communicate effectively with internal and external customers, community leaders, and grieving client families.
- Ability to empathize with client families and their guests and demonstrate tact and patience in emotionally charged situations.
- Ability to maintain a positive attitude and working environment through organization and communication.
- Ability to actively listen to the needs of client families.
- Attention to detail, follow-through and ability to work in a team setting.
- Tactful and professional behavior when dealing with complaints or dissatisfaction with services or merchandise.
- Ability to work independently with little or no supervision.
This position has no direct supervisory responsibilities.
Physical Demands and Work Environment
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- The duties associated with this position are generally performed in an indoor office setting; however, some duties may be performed outdoors.
- Outdoor duties may require exposure to natural elements such as inclement weather, extreme temperatures, uneven ground, dust, gas, and/or fumes.
- Equipment used to perform the essential function of this position includes, but is not limited to; computer, fax, copier, multi-line phone system, body lift, casket handling/transport devices, personal or company owned vehicle.
- Employees in this role must have sufficient strength and manual dexterity and must be willing to work safely and comply with the Company’s safety procedures, including wearing any personal protective equipment that may be required.
- Employees in this role are regularly required to climb, sit, stand, bend, kneel, and frequently lift up to 75 pounds, and may be required to lift up to 100 pounds.
- Performance of this position’s duties also requires power reaching, pushing, and pulling.
- Employees in this role must be able to perform job duties when awakened from a sound sleep.
- This position’s duties require routine exposure to chemicals and/or blood borne pathogens. Exposure risk is considered: High
- Employees must be able to drive a company vehicle and maintain a good driving record and must be insurable under company vehicle insurance.
- Overtime is sometimes necessary or required.
- This position may require up to 10 percent out of area and overnight travel.
- Travel is primarily local occurring during the business day
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.