Work. Serve. Thrive. With the City of Durham
Advance in your career while making a real difference in the community you serve.
Hiring Salary Range: $53,040.00 – $67,611.00
Work Days/Times: Monday – Friday 7:30 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
The General Services Department’s innovative, highly qualified, service-oriented individuals support the City we love. Building and maintaining city facilities and public spaces is what we do. Promoting our enviable quality of life and serving as a foundation of a healthy economy is why we do it. If you’re interested in applying your unique skills to meaningful work while growing in your career, our team is for you!
To administer activities associated with the operations of the City cemeteries. This is accomplished by planning and overseeing the development and administrative operation of the cemeteries, monitoring the work and schedules of employees, meeting with families for funeral arrangements and lot sales, and monitoring and preparing monthly reports and budgets. Other duties include verifying grave space location before each burial, responding to various customer situations, and coordinating and attending staff meetings.
- Provides administrative support by collecting and depositing revenues; preparing and reviewing monthly revenue reports and billing accounts; overseeing the maintenance of burial records; responding to customer requests, complaints, and property claims; directing, overseeing, and participating in meetings with families who are setting up funeral arrangements; and maintaining a working relationship with funeral homes.
- Manages the budget for the cemetery by monitoring expenditures and project accomplishments and making adjustments as necessary; overseeing and participating in the development and administration of the budget; making recommendations to the Financial Manager; and preparing monthly expenditure reports.
- Preserving historical data and maintaining burial records in the cemeteries management software/database. Management of Cemeteries Website; including validation of information posted.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE:
- Work requires knowledge of a specific vocational, administrative, or technical nature which may be obtained with a two-year associate’s degree, diploma or equivalent from a college, technical, business, vocational, or correspondence school. Appropriate certification may be awarded upon satisfactory completion of advanced study or training.
- Three or more years of related experience.
- Valid NC Class C Driver’s License